Tuesday, June 19

New Additions

I don't know why I'm always up so late. I couldn't fall asleep earlier due to a headache the size of Texas, and now I'm sitting here making it worse by taking part in what probably caused it to begin with.
Today was pretty uneventful, I've been sick the past few days, so I've been trying to recuperate. I slept most of the early part of the day, but woke up not feeling any better so I made a rash decision to take two hours out of Arthur's lecture. This probably wasn't a very good idea to begin with because Arthur is very similar to Shane who doesn't waste a single breathe without spewing out something important or at least mildly interesting. Still the part of the lecture that I missed were dos commands, and basic batch file applications. The topic became quickly more complicated as we dowelled deeper into the subject with binary iostreams. The practical on the subject had me worrying as I spent the entire Lab trying to perfect myself on the subject. As far as I am aware, only one person got a 100% on this one (Dan), and I believe Taylor also did pretty well. Me, personally, well I think I did well. Basically speaking, I know the material covered very well now.

The practical was simple actually, it involved opening up a binary file, reading in the arguments passed to the program and than printing them back out. The part I missed involved reading back from the file. When I read in a string, I had missed the null terminator and had assumed that it would be copied over to the char* in my program. Well to make the long story short, I'll probably talk with Arthur and see if he can be a bit more lenient when it comes to grading these practicals, as there is a heavy penalty on each section that doesn't work even it was caused by a very minor error.

I also spoke with Arthur about maybe being able to put some of these practicals up on the blog for others to check out and try out themselves but he made it pretty clear that it wouldn't be a very good idea to distribute any FullSail related content. So I might try and replicate the examples if I have time using my own versions.

Well that about wraps up this update, last but not least I wanted to mention that this site might have a new writer. Payton Gannaway has been a supporter of StrayStudios for some time now and I asked if he would be interested in blogging here along with me. Hopefully he'll find the time to do so, and provide another point of view.

No comments: