Sunday, February 17

Pre-GDC 2008

In the past 72 hours I've slept a total of maybe 10, in small intervals of 2 hours, 3 hours, and that which I wouldn't even consider to be rest during the flight. The cause for all of this is of-course the Game Developer's Conference 2008. I wont waste my breathe on the importance of this event, but that doesn't mean that my school schedule would in any way be lenient towards this once a year phenomenon. Therefore I have spent sleepless nights wrapping up the Gameplay AI for Amoeba Sports (Beta), and as of a few hours ago I would have to say it's been a total success. A week's worth of features, and gameplay mechanics finished in more or less a day and a half.

But I wont get ahead of myself as I am now past exhusted from the flight. From MCO airport we first went North towards Atlanta, during the flight we experienced some technical difficulties where the landing gear on the right wing would not release. The stewairdess did not help the situation as her nervous face was read by every passanger in the five feet radius, who continously kept glaring over my should looking at the wing. When we eventually landed, and my headache subsided, we faced a fifteen minute delay and took off again, this time for what seemed like a six hour long flight, I landed only three hours later (time zones are funny that way).

Oh I almost forgot, I'm not attending alone this year; as Jim Leonis, MFA, and Sean are all joining me, and where supposed to have gotten to San Fransisco an hour before I did. After landing I had quickly unpacked my cell phone and attempted to call them, as we planned to meet up at the airport. After dialing Sean, followed by Jim, and followed by Mike; I found each one of their cell phones turned off (I understand the airplane policies, but I see no reason to fully turn the device off and cut off all communication with the outside world). After three hours went by and I began to panic and think that something might have happened to my deer old friends, and worse yet I might be left sleeping on the cold streets of San Fransisco as the hotel room was registered uner Sean's name; I got the bright idea to call up Rev (Sean's and MFA's roommate). He informed me that they had missed their flight and had not departed yet at 2:00 pm EST. Which means they would not arrive for another four hours.

At the current time of blogging I am at the familiar Citizen's Cupcake Cafe, the place changed a little but still nice, and my friend's still have not turned on the mobiles. According to flightaware.com they should have all arrived at 5:10 (that was 30 min ago). So in the meantime I had registered myself at the Masconi Center and read every slip of paper I could find in that black bag of goodies. My favorite being a Ping Pong Ball by GameDev.net, which will surely be used sometime in the near future. The other item of interest is a "6 hour Energy! Mini Thin RUSH." That's right, if you haven't seen this yet than it wouldn't be far from the actual produce provided. As I like to live dangerously I intend to save this for the upcoming Wed or Thur.

No comments: